Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

How to cure bronchitis disease ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
Hi, My father is 65 years old. He has asthma, when he coughs he gets blood in the phlegm. Recently there is more blood in the phlegm . Doctor says its a bronchitis disease . Could you please suggest me a hospital and doctor in bangalore ?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Bronchitis in old age is a common disorder specially if there is a history of smoking associated with it. Almost every good general physician is competent enough to manage such a common problem effectively.

Do keep it in mind that bronchitis is not curable at this age. Continuous medication is needed to keep the disease under control. One has to be regular in his treatment so as to prevent the acute episodes which occur in the presence of triggering factors.

To find a good specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
OR can contact Dept. of Respiratory Pulmonology, M.S. Ramaiah Medical college and Research Centre, M.S. Ramaiah Nagar, Near Malleswaram, Bangalore.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to cure bronchitis disease ? 5 hours later

Thanks for your reply. But i am worried about the recent more blood in the phlegm which results in severe weakness and finally had to go through blood transfusion. Could you please tell how serious it is? Could you please let me know if you could suggest any particular Doctor in MS Ramaiah whom i can consult?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.
Severe haemorrhage with phelgm is not commonly seen in uncomplicated bronchitis. He must be having some other problems like pulmonary hypertension or bleeding vessel in the bronchus which need to be investigated.
Such bleeding episodes are definitely life threatening and need vigorous and timely treatment.
In MS Ramaiah, Dr. Uma Maheswari Krishnaswamy is good with training, otherwise any consultant in Pulmonology can help you.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor