Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

How to control negative thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Sometimes, I have not positive thoughts.
When I want to feel amazinly good, not very nice thoughts come to my mind.
I do meditation. do you have other techniques ?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for you query.

Meditation is the best known method to have a strong control over the thoughts you have.

You may also take help from a Counselor who shall discuss with you about the type of thoughts you get and other facts related to your life which helps to find out the basis of the thoughts you get.Planning on managing the basic though or the stimulus which initiates such thoughts will surely help you to get rid of them.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to control negative thoughts? 2 hours later
I just had a message from Customer care with fair usage of the service so tell me if it is ok to continue this discussion.
In fact, the triggers are :
- news about health I read on the tube or in newspapers , or on the radio and the comments of people around. It frightens me deeply . I do all my best to avoid the exposure to such info bt when it happens I over react.May be it is also due to the fact that my father is not very well.
- when I focus on health to keep going I have a counter thought that is not positive at all. It comes from nowhere.
- the last trigger is when I feel this little spasm in my foot or shoulder.
as my environment is not calm, I can have fears coming out often amplified by environment.
What should I do ? be more aggressive so I do not listen to ntot so good news ? Keep focusing on health ? investigate more this question of spasm and look for natural cures to get rid of them ? magnesium for instance ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for the information.

The triggers has to be identified by a Counselor or a Psychiatrist which reduces subjective bias.

Though you have come up with some thoughts or triggers which induces such fearful or negative thoughts, you will not be able to fight them unless helped by others.A better person would be a Psychiatrist or a Counselor.He will study the pattern of thoughts you get and counteract them accordingly just by filling thoughts into you.It is a complex process and needs a trained professional to have better results.Do consult one .

Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor