How to control diabetes and blood pressure? Precaution to be taken?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: how to control diabetics(sugar). what are the symptoms and precautions.
how to control Blood sugar? what is the normal blood pressure depending on the various ages groups. what is the precautions to be used.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
The symptoms of diabetes vary from feeling absolutely symptomless to feeling tired, lethargic, having non-healing wound, excessive thirst, excessive urination, feeling hungry or not feeling hungry all the time, blurred vision, frozen joints, frequent infections etc.
To control diabetes one must first know what type of diabetes he/she is having. Then depending on that lifestyle modifications are suggested which include body appropriate exercise, diet, stopping of smoking, reduction in consumption of alcohol and lastly taking all the prescribed medications as advised. The medications may not only include sugar medications but also cholesterol and other cardiovascular risk reducing medications.
Other precautions include checking sugars, and other cardiovascular parameters, kidneys, eyes and feet regularly and if any abnormality is noticed then the patient should inform the doctor himself/ herself immediately.
To control blood sugar, in diet, you should avoid simple sugars, fruit drinks, sweets, fried items, heavy gravies, artificial flavoured items, refined flours, rice and butter, red meat etc. You should consume low fat meat, egg white, lots of fresh vegetables, 2 to 3 seasonal fruits, nuts, skimmed milk items, whole wheat chapati, unpolished rice, lots of cooked pulses etc.
In exercise, you walk for minimum 40 to 50 minutes at moderate pace, covering about 4 to 5 km during that. you can choose cycling and swimming also.
Do not ignore your medications. If you want, try to understand which medication you are taking for what.
For your age upto 135/85 mmHg is a normal blood pressure. For children upto 120/80 mmHg is normal and for people above 70 years, 140/ 80 mmHg is normal BP.
For good blood pressure and for avoiding blood pressure related complications, eat less salt, less fat, less dairy products, less meat and exercise. Eat lots of salads and do some yoga or relaxation exercises.
I hope you got your answer. please get back for any related query.