Owl Image

How to confirm paternity of child during pregnancy?

Owl Image
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Question
I am currently overseas and have been contacted by a female that I slept with once back in the states. She says she is pregnant with twins and says they are mine; however, the information that she has given me (from what the other doctor has stated to her), seems incorrect about time of conception. I was wondering what the possibility is that they are mine. Here is the information that I have:
On April 21, 2014 we had intercourse without a condom (not the brightest idea, I know).
She “forgot” to take the morning after pill after we discussed her taking it, until I brought one to her on April 23rd. Will this do anything for the timeline of pregnancy?
July 15, 2014 she has an ultrasound and the technician tells her that she is 8 weeks, 5 days pregnant.
Due Date is February 22nd, 2015, according to technician. Due to some past knowledge and some research of my own, I do not believe that the twins are mine. I have counted 40 weeks back from due date and the time that we had intercourse is almost a month before that.

I do not know her very well but I believe that she probably slept with someone else but knows how much money I make and is going after me because of that(she was rather self-centered when I met her). The rest of the information that I have is speculation from her. She claims that she had sex with another partner 6 weeks after I left(April 24th), but she says that that date is the 19th of XXXXXXX which is actually 8 weeks after I left. She is very angry and not very open about what is going on, which makes this difficult. If they are mine I will accept the responsibility, and I will have to quit my job and go back to the states, if not, I can continue working overseas.

My question is pretty basic, relatively. Can these twins be mine? What is the probability that they are or are not? Is there any other information that I can try to collect from her to clear up any questions?
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
most probably not.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
It was great to read the answer given by Dr XXXXXXX and really gave you correct idea and I fully agree with her.

Just to go through the details::
You had unprotected sex on 21/4/14, she had morning after pill on 23 rd- within 72 hours of sex. This works and the failure rate is very less. Did she take the pill in front of you.

My support would be :
She has taken morning after pill
How can you believe whether she had sex with another man once or many times or yet another one. It is impossible to know and not worthy of believing.
Plainly ask her that you would like to go for paternity test.
Simple thing is that the dates of sex and the ultrasonography do not match.
Please do not try to pull any other information at the moment.
Wait and watch for a few weeks or a month.

Follow-up: How to confirm paternity of child during pregnancy? 34 minutes later
I did appreciate the responses from Dr. Madhuri; however, I did leave out the part about her taking the morning after pill.
I did not watch her take the pill in front of me, I should have asked her to, but I knew that would probably offend her and at the point in time I didn't feel that she would try to pull something like this on me.

Unfortunately I can not believe anything that she has said thus far, especially because she was asking questions like "When did you leave, I think I have miscalculated." She was threatening me with "I'll make you get a paternity test and then you will never see your kids, ever!", but the moment that I said that I had fully planned on demanding one she stopped talking to me, that was 2 weeks ago.

I do not have any other contact with her at this time. Is there any possibility that these twins are mine? If there is I will initiate contact with her again to take a paternity test when I return home. If there is not then I will probably not contact her again, nor will I plan on coming home from my job overseas sooner to be there for her.

Thank you for your answers.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
less likely

Detailed Answer:
It is less likely to be your twins.

Just relax and get engorged into your job, since you are ready for everything. IT is just 8 + weeks pregnancy .

I can understand what you mean by.