How to check misdiagnosis of spinal and meningococcal meningitis?
What are the possibility I was misdiagnosed in the past
Ask to a rheumatologist or other doctors only who been certified by the XXXXXXX college of rheumatology that treat lupus patients
? Is it lupus
Thank you for writing on health care magic
Well there is always a possibility which we see in our patients when meningitis may be the first presentation of lupus. Question is when to suspect?
We suspect it if there are multiple hyperintensitities in different parts of the brain and spinal cord diagnosed on MRI especially if the patient does not have any associated features like oral ulcers, joint pains, hair fall, rash over the face and arms. The closest differential diagnosis comes to infection or multiple Sclerosis. But considering Strong ANA Positivity along with the MRI findings it has a strong suspicion of lupus( Lupus Cerebritis).
There is a possibility you may have had lupus at that time as well, but it is quite difficult to suspect it at that stage as infection seems a more likely category. Considering SLE to be a disease of the females, at times the index of suspicion is not so high in males. But we do see lot of Lupus presenting like these conditions and they need high dose of steroids.
Other possibility is your autoimmune system could have been triggered by an infection( like meningitis). This can only be distinguished if we knew that ANA was earlier negative but post infection it became positive. You can check your records for it and it will give you a better idea.
Never the less, now since you have been diagnosed i hope you are on the right tract of treatment for it and you are keeping healthy
Do let me know for more queries. Would be happy to help out
Hope the information was useful
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for secondary meningococcal meningitis
- Symptoms of Meningococcal meningitis
- Diagnosis of secondary meningococcal meningitis
- Secondary meningococcal meningitis causes
- Diagnosis of Meningococcal meningitis
- Meningococcal meningitis causes
- Prophylaxis for meningococcal meningitis
- Will menhibrix treat meningococcal meningitis prophylaxis?
- Symptoms of secondary meningococcal meningitis
- Treatment and cure for Meningococcal meningitis
- Is there any alternate medication for prednisolone?
- What causes sweating,fatigue and grey colored stool when sufferimh from...
- Suggest treatment for damage to joints caused after stem cell transplant
- Suggest treatment for sjogrens syndrome
- What are the side effects of Saaz?
- What causes knee pain?
- What causes pain in arms,legs,neck with dizziness and fatigue?
- Suggest treatment for diabetic diarrhea
- Can vasculitis occur on foot and legs?
- What causes cellulitis, sinusitis and joint pain?