Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

How to check for liver cirrhosis?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6484 Questions
I have high liver enzymes. I have been a heavy drinker for 45 years and now have fatty liver. My Dr. is unaware of my drinking history. I have a large stomach for my 5'3", 135 Lbs. I have, as of today, stopped drinking but worry about cirrhosis now. I had a sonagram to determine the fatty liver - 3 months ago.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yo can have elastography. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It is great that you have stopped drinking. Cirrhosis is confirmed by many other indicators in Ultrasound like coarse echotexture,shrunken size,irregular surface etc.It is also associated with ascitis in advance stage. Your case is most probably not related to cirrhosis. You can have fresh Ultrasound of abdomen with elastography.Elastography is related to elastic nature of liver cells which is altered due to prolong alcohol intake and if its score is high then there is more propensity of liver cells to convert into cirrhosis. Fatty liver is reversible stage and it can be reversed by changing life style and diet. You should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc. You should avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and fatty food and should take lot of vegetables and fruits in your diet. You can take medicines for high liver enzymes.You will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor