How to avoid darkening of skin in an infant?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi doctor, my daughter is 20 days old now.She born with very fair complexion but now a days her complexion is getting faded.Can you prescribe any products to retain her color???
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complexion depends on genetic makeup

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Being a parent myself I understand your concern and apprehension. This is common concern I have noticed in parents .
The complexion of baby usually changes and the final complexion usually comes by age of 3 to 6 months. Once the baby is born it undergoes lots of changes and adaptations to accommodate itself in new environment.
The complexion is mainly decided by genetic makeup and depends on complexion of parents.

I would suggest you the following
1. Continue exclusive breast feeding till 6 months of age.
2. Body massage with equal mixture of olive oil, almond oil and coconut oil will be helpful.
3. After massage remove the oil residue completely using Himalaya body bath and hot water Bath.
4. Cetaphil moisturising cream for local application to face after bath
5. Good nutritious diet to mother
6. Iron , calcium , multivitamin and omega 3 supplements to the mother

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: How to avoid darkening of skin in an infant? 46 hours later
Thanks for the suggestion , doctor.

I have one more query regarding mother feeding. My daughter is passing urine so frequently (Is this condition normal in 23 days old babies?) and feeling hungry too much and my wife is not able to provide milk so frequently.My wife is taking calcium supplements too once in a day. What diet my wife should take to feed the baby well??

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is very reassuring to know that baby is passing urine regularly. It is totally normal .

I would suggest the following to increase the milk output of mother

1. Lactare capsule : 2 capsules twice a day. It is lactogenic and increase output

2. Iron and calcium supplements

3. High calorie diet
4. Plenty of oral fluids

I would suggest you a home made recipe known to increase milk output

Ingredients: Khajur (100 gms), Pistachio (50gm), Cardomom (10 in number ), Almonds (50 gm), Ghee (2 spoons), Whole wheat Atta ( 3 spoon), milk ( 2 cups )

Grind the mixture of khajoor, almond, pistachio and cardamom into fine powder

In a frying pan add 2 spoon of ghee. Heat it on low flame. Add 3 spoon of Atta . Heat it while continuously mixing it till it is golden brown . Add 2 cups milk. Cook it on low flame. Add the powdered mixture to it. Cook it for 30 sec.
The mother can be given this thrice a day. It will increase the milk output.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX