How to avoid cat scratch fever after a cat scratch?
No need to rush to ER.
Thanks for posting your query.
If it was only a superficial scratch with minimal bleeding then washing the area with soap and water is sufficient. most of the times the cat scratch is not associated with any symptoms or causes a reversible fever or lymphadenopathy that subsides spontaneously without a treatment.
You can apply a local antiseptic ointment in the area and keep the wound covered. Do watch for any signs of infection like redness pain and swelling around the area of scratch. In case any of these symptoms appear then do attend an ER for proper treatment.
If the wound is very deep and has a skin flap or ragged edges then do attend an ER for prophylactic antibiotic course.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can doxy 100 cure cat scratch fever ?
- Cat scratch fever and back pain
- Diagnosis of scratch fever
- Will doryx treat cat scratch fever ?
- Long term affects of cat scratch fever
- Untreated cat scratch fever
- Scratch fever causes
- Cat scratch fever and fertility
- Does cat scratch fever cause tongue burning
- Treatment and cure for scratch fever