How to achieve optimal healing while having sutures on the plantar?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I got 7 stitches on the bottom of my foot. This happened monday morning, and I was wondering when I could start walking without my crutches.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
approximately 7-10 days..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Yes, I've reviewed the sutured image and first of all let me assure you that the wound is looking quite healthy, so chance of healing quickly is quite high..

However, when saying 'quickly', you should note that the skin of the sole of the feet is one of the most thickened area, thus takes longer time to heal..

Just follow strict post-sutured wound precautions as must have been advised by the surgeon..

Avoid any type of pressure bearing of the area (yes, crutches will be needed for the time being), try to keep it as much dry as possible, daily twice to thrice local application of Betadine lotion with help of sterile gauge to be maintained for the next 3-4 days, try not to stretch the area.. continue analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics as per the surgeon's advice..

Don't worry, with all these measures followed strictly, it'll take around a week to 10 days to get over the pain, swelling and maximum amount of healing, all of which is important to let you get back on your feet normally, as well as removal of the stitches later on..

Let me know if there's any further queries, I'll be glad to clarify..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 17 minutes later
so not even on saturday I can walk normally maybe with the help of my crutches a bit?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can walk with the help of the crutches without putting pressure on the affected feet

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back Dear,

Thanks for following up,

However, I'd advice you to stay rested for the time being, saturday is still 3 more days and by then it'll be further healed but will be needed to be examined once before allowing you to walk, so you can simply get it checked then by any of your local physician..

Please note that healing is a dynamic process, and the more strictly you follow the advises, faster will be the process ..

However, little bit of walking with the help of crutches can be permitted by then, but remember to take extra caution not to put any weight on the affected feet..

Wish you a good health..let me know how you stay later on..

Take Care
Kind Regards