How to abort pregnancy?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am missing my periods. Got my last period on 7th July. I took a pregnancy test today and it tested positive. What are the chances that I am pregnant. Me and my husband are not ready for a baby yet. what should be the next course of actions. If I am pregnant can I opt for a medical abortion rather than surgical one. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medical abortion can be considered...explained

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
The fact that your pregnancy test after 8 days of missed periods has come out to be positive, it confirms that you are pregnant with a pregnancy of 5 weeks and 5 days as of today. This pregnancy if is unplanned then can be considered for termination by medical method itself, under the supervision of a gynaecologist.
Surgical abortion may not be required as pregnancy less than 7 weeks can be successfully terminated with medicines. Firstly you need to get an ultrasound confirmation of the location of the pregnancy whether it is intra uterine or an ectopic. If intrauterine then it would be safe to opt for medical termination but if its an ectopic then a laparoscopic approach would have to be undertaken ( for tubal pregnancy) for termination and removal.
In either case, a gynaecologist has to be visited in person and an ultrasound confirmation is a must first.