How successful is a surgery for loss of hearing due to perforated eardrum?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX and last October i perforated my eardrum. My ENT specialist said it will not close up and I have a loss of 30db in my right ear.
He opted for the day surgery, but I backed out and thought I would leave it for the winter. My question is, will I have my normal hearing back after the operation, because i do feel an imbalance between ears. I also am training to be a commercial pilot and I an still just within limits with hearing loss? My second question is after the perforated eardrum has been like this for 8 months now, will my hearing be back to normal? I also have a slight ringing sound since t happened too.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Near to normal hearing after operation

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
I have gone through your query; and for your kind information if you are having traumatic perforation of ear drum and not heal yet then better to go for surgery and your hearing become near normal after surgery. No much change in the results after 8 months of your perforation if your ear is completely dry i.e. non discharging ears.

Avoid putting water, ear drops, oil and earbud in the ear canal.

Ringing sound may be due to the difference in hearing level of the ears.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 17 minutes later

Do you think if I wait for a few months until after my holiday it will be safe to do it then? or does it need to be ASAP?

thanks
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to go ASAP

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your follow up query; and personally suggest you that you may go for surgery as early as possible to prevent any complication.

Thanks