How soon does the period happen after taking emergency contraceptive?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: Hi doctor,

I did protected sex with my gf on 17thJuly 2014 and gave her unwanted 72 within 60hr and next day she vomiting. She got period on 28th to 2 Aug 2014.and after having this tablet periods start with in 2 days.or same time duration .
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The periods will usually occur on expected date

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXX

As you had given emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of unprotected sex, it is very effective in preventing pregnancy. The periods will usually occur on expected dates. It will not occur 2 days after giving the pills.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 23 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Still I am not having periods n my expected date of periods is 25th so plz let me no.wht i have to do
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Period may be delayed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

After taking emergency contraceptive pill the period may sometime be delayed for couple of day. Do wait till you get it.

Best regards
Dr Deepak