Owl Image

How soon can the STD infection get transferred?

Owl Image
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Question
I have been with a questionable girl whom gave me oral sex without protection. An escort to be exact. I was with here on Thursday night. On Friday night I was with my girlfriend. Could I have infected my girlfriend as soon as (1) day. This was the only sexual contact I have had other than my girlfriend in 20 years. Is s
he at risk if I this other woman had an unoticable infection after such a short period ?
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Organisms not present in body fluids for 72 hours

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

STDs are more than 30 in number. Certain STDs like gonorrhea can become infectious within few hours after the infection as it confined local area of genitals.
But infections like HIV, Hepatitis spreads through exchange of body fluids. In HIV, disease gets established only after 72 hours usually. Then only virus would be present in blood,semen or vaginal fluid. So theoretically your girl friend would not get infections that can spread through exchange of body fluids whereas STD affect local tissues of genitalia may be infectious from the hour one itself.
But Medicine is not Mathematics to get constant answers. Deviations can not be ruled out. I hope that you got the point.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How soon can the STD infection get transferred? 13 minutes later
Redness observed which showed up 3 days ago. No bumps sores, nothing. Just redness which is starting to disappearing today. I viewed the area thru a magnifying glass to make absolutely sure there were no very small sores or bumps. Nothing.

I know , I know, I am getting tested tomorrow. However should I worry at this point for the redness. Urin touches it at times and there is slight irritation.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yeast or topical irritants cause redness of penis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Redness of penis may be due to either mild abrasion, or due to some applications like antiseptics or due to soaps. Yeast infection is another possibility of redness without any sore or blisters.
Consult your Dermatologist. He/she will help you in this regard.
Get well soon,
Dr S.Murugan