Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

How soon can pregnancy test be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 745 Questions
Hello doc
How soon can we test for pregnancy??? Does taking susten 300 delay my period. I am 19 dpo today, took clomipure plus 50 mg from day 3 of my cycle then had hcg inj. for rupture, had 2 follicles in right ovary measuring 19.6 mm and 21.6 mm. Took susten from after ovulation till yesterday. Tested for pregnancy today tb came out negative.. Am I out this month?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Once ovulation (rupture of follicle)happens it takes 14 to 15 days for appearing of hcg in blood. After 4 to 5 days to this hcg may be detected in urine.

So to conclude blood hcg may be positive after 14 to 15 days of ovulation and urine pregnancy test may be positive after 18 to 19 days of ovulation. As early as 14days of ovulation pregnancy may be detected.

Sometimes there may be little delay. I usually advice for my patients to get blood test at 28th day after ovulation if she had not got periods yet . If then also test comes negative then it is considered no pregnancy.

And yes, susten do delays periods but only by 2 to 3 days. I would suggest you to get tested after 10days (which will be 28th day after ovulation in you ) and consult your doctor with report. Continue susten as prescribed.

Its not totally negative and everything is not over yet. You have 10 more days .

Hope I have answered your query .If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How soon can pregnancy test be done? 5 hours later
Thank u so much for the guidance.. Had periods today.. What could be the reason for delayed periods? Does it mean early miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

It is unlikely that you had early miscarriage. Delay in periods may be most likely due to use of susten drug. As susten is known to cause delay in periods. Susten is used to avoid early miscarriage if you are pregnant . so it is very unlikely that after being on susten you have miscarriage.

If it was so then pregnancy test would have come positive and also your periods would be different from your previous periods in amount and duration.

I would suggest you to consult your gynacologist to plan treatment for this cycle.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How soon can pregnancy test be done? 31 hours later
Hi, got positive hpt today!!! Is it because their were 2 matured follicles this cycle? Then why did i had the periods? Technically today is the 2nd day of my periods. Am all confused, will see my doc today.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
better to get blood test

Detailed Answer:

The possible reasons of positive hpt could be
-hpt doesn't give 100% accurate results. Accuracy is 90-95%
-kit may be defective
-pregnancy may be there but it may be confirmed by blood b-hcg test which is 100% accurate

if you have got periods like you had previously means one possibility could be you may be having missed abortion. If only spotting is there then pregnancy may be still there. This needs clinical examination. So consult your gynacologist has soon as possible.

Though you had 2 follicle usually if one gets fertilised periods won't come.

Hope I have been helpful .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor