Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

How soon after unprotected sex should get tested for STI?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
hi, my boyfriend slept with another woman without protection, how soon can he go for an STI check that if he caught anything, it will show up?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting.

Symptoms of gonorrhea usually occur 2-5 days after infection, but how ever in men it can take like a month before manifesting, but tests can show positive just a few days after. Syphilis and chlamydia can take a longer time to manifest symptoms especially if primary syphilis or might never manifest at all. My suggestion is for him to get tested now for all the STIs including syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, hepatitis etc ( to make sure he has no previous infection). Then he can redo testing 2-3 months after to confirm he is completely free as some infections take a longer time for seroconversion (ability for a microorganism after being infected into another host to be able to become infective or show positive test results) to occur.

Thank you and hope this helps

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor