How soon after sex can you be tested for herpes?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: How soon after sex can you be tested for herpes
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinically .pcr or culture.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering.
Herpes genitalis can be caused by HSV types 2 or 1.
usually incubation period is 2-5 days may take up to 2 weeks.so manifestation can occur within this period. The diagnosis is clinical .even can be done by culture or PCR if available. The specimen is from the scraping if lesions.
Antibodies Can be tested from blood in convalescent period i.e during healing phase IGM.which may be non specific.
IgG specific but may take weeks to months to appear and is specific.
Hope your doubts are cleared.
You can get back to me for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 4 minutes later
If I had sexual encounter with a random who I fear is with multiple people 5 days ago can i take a test today to see if I have herpes? She performed oral on me while I wore a condom we had vaginal sex with condom and I performe orally for her briefly and not to climax without protection. I am a horrible person and just want to know if I can be tested today? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not needed if no rash.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
I do not see any necessity for you to test for it as you do not have any lesions or rash I suppose.
If suspected rash then you can go for culture or PCR.
If you suspect earlier infection you can go for HSV IgG and M.
Otherwise If lesions develop then think of it
Otherwise relax not all encounters can spread it even if active lesions are there in partner.
So relax allay your anxiety.
You can get back to me for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 7 minutes later
Just to double check if I took a test today would it be accurate? I do have a small dark purple spot on my scrotum. No burning itching or anything with it. I noticed it yesterday and it has not progressed or spread at all. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to be herpes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
I do not think the non progressive asymptomatic purple spot can be due to herpes.If you can send clear photo of same i will try to help you.
If you desire and your treating doctor agrees to do test you can go ahead .
If suspected rash is herpes then you can go for culture or PCR.
If you suspect earlier infection you can also go for HSV IgG and M.
But i do not feel any necessity for tests with the described asymptomatic rash.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh