How soon Rabies vaccine should be taken after an animal bite?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: One week ofter can i use rabies vaccinefrom slightly scrach condition to the dog nail.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rabies vaccine should be taken within 1-2 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to health care magic,

It should be taken within 24 hours,but it can be taken 48 hours after incident of dog bite or even nail scratch.

Rabies is extremely rare today and vaccine is rarely indicated unless wild or more suspicious animal bites you.

Symptoms usually occur within 5 days, and some signs would be felt within 2 days. Symptoms include fevers, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, flu.

In addition,if the animal would show signs of rabies already then i would advice you to take vaccine.

Here,after 7 days rabies vaccine would be of no use but still I would advice you to see some local doctor who can look at your scratch or wound and make a decision accordingly.

If your physician asks to take vaccine then here is the schedule,

1) Inj rabipur on days 0,3,7,14 and 28.
Day 0 is the day of first shot of vaccination,to be taken on to the shoulder by intramuscular route.

2) Inj.tetanus toxoid 1 ampoule at Intramuscularly once only.

3) Inj.Diclofenac for pain relief(If there is pain)

4) If there is wound then it should be washed with sterile water and antiseptic solution.

Wish you good health.

Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sandip Kabra