Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How significant is a 0.7ng/ml PSA increase over 4 years as it relates to my chance of having prostate cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
I have the classic symptoms of stream, frequency, nocturia. Had a PSA taken in 2007 that came back at 6.7. Biopsy at that time was negative with no abnormalities. Fell through the cracks since then and had PSA taken during a wellness exam this month revealing a level of 7.4. Stream has decreased over the last four years, all other symptoms remain the same. DRE negative. Am scheduled for a second biopsy.

How significant is a .7ng/ml PSA increase over 4 years as it relates to my chance of having prostate cancer? It is my understanding that an increase of >.75ng/ml over a period of one year is of more concern. Can a "normal" increase in size of the prostate over four years in someone my age(55) account for this amount of a rise in PSA? My urologist did indicate that upon DRE, my prostate seemed larger than noted in 2007, that coupled with my decreased flow (while on Flowmax since 2007) indicates to me an increase in prostate size.

Your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later
Hello Jorear,

Thanks for posting your query.

Your increased PSA in 2007 was a cause for worry and it is good that you have been biopsied at that point of time.

I would like to know the number of cores that were taken.

Your PSA has not increased appreciably over the years and your probability of having cancer is very low.

However, you are experiencing progressive worsening of symptoms and you should get operated for your prostate in time.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor