How should pregnancy be planned with history of schizophrenia?

Psychiatrist
Question
hello i am patient of sczinoperia. but currently i am fine. previous i was at depression. few year back i was fine in 2013. but after marriage to become family planning i stoped medicine. but after that my mood swings, making doubts, fighting, .after doctor suggested me risnia md 4 and parking 2 mg i am continuing this medicine untill date. but we want to make family planning . becoz of medicine i am unble to get baby. so please guide us how to prepare for family planning.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
wait for now...

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     29 years old female
•     Known case of Schizophrenia
•     Currently on Risnia MD 4mg and Parkin 2mg
•     Concern related to pregnancy with treatment.

Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe psychiatric illness. If you had recurrence of symptoms after stopping treatment, then in my opinion I would not prefer stoppage of the medicine, as symptoms of schizophrenia can affect mother's self care/nutrition/sleep, which will affect the child health.

Following recommendations will help you:
-Wait for pregnancy for at least for 6 months, as you just have recovered from schizophrenic symptoms few months back.
-You can opt for pregnancy while on treatment after discussing with your psychiatrist. In such cases safest medicine is Haloperidol (least risk), which should be given in lowest doses.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How should pregnancy be planned with history of schizophrenia? 1 hour later
haloperdol is medicine. during pregnancy can i prefer this medicine. any therapy for this . actually my treatment was at XXXXXXX recently my husband got transfered and shifted to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX so i am unable to contact with my doctor. for new doctor i am afraiding that they will increase my dosage. and i enquried few doctor they said that i should adopt a baby or sarogate mother. if i give birth to my baby then he/ she will face my sick. and this is not a hridetary problem. i am the only facing this problem in my family . i am the person only. thats my bad luck.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, haloperdol is safer medicine to use during pregnancy, but should be taken in psychiatrist close supervision.

Schizophrenia has hereditary component. If one parent has schizophrenia then there is 10% chances of being transmitted in child. But illness become apparent between 15 and 30 years only in most of the cases. So, do not worry about children, as very good treatment will be available in coming 10 years and chance is only 10%.

As you are in XXXXXXX You can visit Psychiatry department of Sassoon General Hospital, near railway station. It is government hospital. They will provide best advice for you. You can tell them about my treatment recommendations.

Please accept my answer and give feedback in case there is no further query and you found reply helpful. In case of doubt, I am here to help you.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How should pregnancy be planned with history of schizophrenia? 3 hours later
thankyou,
is it possible to meet you at XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX if yes please give me your contact details. any day you visit in government hospital. or pvt

i have one problem i am making doubts and repeat calling and disturbing him. so is this my sick. what are the remedies for this. actully before marriage i was working profession so this type of problem not happened. after marriage i left my job. now i am at home.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am practicing in XXXXXXX NCR. You will get other nice doctors in Sassoon, XXXXXXX I had done part of medical studies from there.

Calling repeatedly may be due to anxiety, feeling of loneliness, residual symptom schizophrenia or due to combined effect of these factors. Just report this to your treating doctor.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How should pregnancy be planned with history of schizophrenia? 4 hours later
how to improve from anxiety and feeling a lonliness. what activities i should do ?
how to aviod calling him repeaedly. how to make him a smile in his face. he is very tensed. mostly i whole day i am not calling but at evening i am calling him. full day i am fine. amvasya XXXXXXX day we fight eachother. i dont know why ? i noted most of the time .
risnia md 4 mg i read that mouth dissolving tablet. i mean it should keep in mouth without water. please suggest me . explain

Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Yes, Risnia MD is mouth dissolving tablet. It can be keep in mouth, can be taken by water or both (keep in mouth and take water) according to your comfort.

For marital problem: reason need to find out (Like anxiety, feeling of loneliness, residual symptom schizophrenia, due to combined effect of these factors or stress/anxiety in husband) after detailed in-person assessment of couple. Then treatment should be planned.

For time-being stopped calling husband more than once in a day. If he become angry then give smile and become silent to give him time to calm down.

Wish you good health.