How should Misoprostol and Mifepristone be taken for termination of pregnancy?

Question
I took misoprostol without first taken Mifepristone, can it still work?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 minutes later
Chances of successful abortion is 90% when only misoprostol is used as compared to the combination of MIFIPRISTONE and misoprostol where success rate is more than 98%.
In nutshell,misoprostol can still work when used alone.
Thanks

Follow-up: How should Misoprostol and Mifepristone be taken for termination of pregnancy? 24 minutes later
Well i took just two 200 mcg tablet and no bleeding yet... I was told to take the remaining two 200 mcg after 24 hours. Can i take the MIFIPRISTONE then first then 6 hours later the remaining misoprostol or should i just forget the mifipristone as i have already madethe mistake.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 days later
Ideally MIFIPRISTONE should be used first and then misoprostol after 48 hours.
But if you can not obtain MIFIPRISTONE ,then you may use only misoprostol ,but it has to be used in proper way.
You have to insert 4 tablets of 200 mcg of misoprostol and if bleeding doesn't take place in next couple of hours,you can repeat by inserting 4 tablets more.
In case bleeding doesn't take place in next 4 hours,you can repeat 4 tablets again.
Generally bleeding and expulsion of embryonic sac takes place with just one insertion but sometimes you have to insert 2nd and 3 rd time.
You are allowed to take only 12 tablets maximum in 12 hours.
If it fails,you can repeat the entire process after a gap of 3 days.
If it fails again,then you don't have any choice except to go for surgical abortion.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks