How should Femilon be taken after missing one dose?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I am on regular oral contraceptives (Femilon) for about 8 months. I missed a pill in the first week of my current cycle and as advised took the missed pill as soon as i realized, which was with my next pill (24 hours). Since I had unprotected sex on that day I also took an emergency contraceptive within 72 hours. Should I now continue with my femilon cycle? When is it safe to have unprotected sex again?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe to continue

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic.

If you miss your pill you need to take missed pill immediately which you have done.

Additionally you have also taken emergency contraceptive pill which would definitely provide more safety.

There is no chance of pregnancy as you have used double protection.

You can safely continue to have sex now while on femilon. Dont worry about pregnancy.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Dr. Soumya
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 31 minutes later
Do i need barrier contraceptives at all..?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You are on oral contraceptive pill. You dont need barrier contraceptive method for contraception.

You are safe with pills only for contraception.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

Lastly, should I expect a change in my period cycle since emergency contraceptive does cause early/late periods. How long should I wait for my period?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Wait for one week

Detailed Answer:

You are right. There could be postponement of periods since you have taken emergency contraception.

Wait for one week of missed periods to get periods.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj