Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How serious is my high blood pressure? Am overweight

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
My husband had a blood pressure reading of 170/110. He is over weight . How XXXXXXX is this?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I understand your concerns. Your husband's blood pressure is very high. In view of his overweight body and high blood pressure he is likely to have serious complications in future.

The complications of high blood pressure include stroke and paralysis of hands or legs. There are various other complications associated with this blood pressure.

Hence I advice him to consult a physician and start on anti hypertensive medications which are essential for controlling blood pressure. Physician might order few blood tests for evaluating the effect of blood pressure on various organs like liver and kidney. Please get evaluated.

Very good and effective medications are available for controlling the blood pressure. Kindly start the medication as soon as possible.

Regarding the body weight, your husband needs to have modified lifestyle as follows:

1) Regular and systematic exercise routine including brisk walk for 5 km daily.

2) Exercise in gym everyday under the supervision of instructor for weight loss management.

3) Please visit a dietician and obtain a diet chart with adequate calorie intake and restricted sugar and oil intake. Balanced low calorie diet is essential for modified diet.

Kindly visit physician soon and get evaluated.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow-up queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close this discussion.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor