How serious is hernia swollen foreskin?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: I have a hernia swollen foreskin and I am wondering how serious this condition is. Can you advise?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 30 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Hernia at this age is usually of DIRECT TYPE due to laxity of the muscles of the abdominal wall. It does not need urgent treatment.
The swollen foreskin sounds serious to me as it is either infection of the glans penis and foreskin due to tight foreskin or what is called PARAPHIMOSIS.
This needs EARLY consult. At the same time, the hernia can be assessed.
A surgeon/ urologist is the best person to evaluate.
Wishing you good health,
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Dr. G, thanks for your timely response. You stated this condition needs EARLY consult. How early is early? Are there serious implications to this condition?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 minutes later
Hi
welcome back.
I suggest you to see the doctor within 1 or 2 days.
It could well be serious and cannot be diagnosed unless physically examined.
Get well soon,
DR GS