How serious is busted blood vessel in eye?

Posted on Fri, 16 May 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: How serious is busted blood vessels in your eye? It scared ne!
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is subconjunctival hemorrhage,it is not serious

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic
Iam Dr. DadapeerK, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I saw the photograph attached with the question, it indicates sub-conjunctival hemorrhage.
Sub-conjunctival hemorrhage is because of collection of blood under the conjunctiva as a result of broken blood vessel
The commonest cause for it is injury and spontaneous sub-conjunctival hemorrhage without injury is seen in people with diabetes or hypertension.

The sub-conjunctival hemorrhage by itself is a non serious or benign condition and it will resolve over 2-4 weeks as the blood gets absorbed and generally no treatment is required.
In your case since you are diabetic and hypertensive, I advice you to get examination to know the status of diabetes and hypertension and continue treatment for their optimal control as per the advice of your physician.
There is no need to worry about the sub-conjunctival hemorrhage as it is a very much benign condition and does not require treatment.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist