How serious is a densely calcified atherosclerotic plaque in abdominal aorta?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: how serious is a densely calcified atherosclerotic plaque seen the distal abdominal aorta?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It has a reduced risks at this age, but needs to be worked out by heart scan

Detailed Answer:
Brief Answer-It has a reduced risks at this age, but needs to be worked out by heart scan with study of the Calcium score for your Coronary plaques by repeated screening of the heart for coronary calcium.

Hi, Welcome for your query at HCM.
The Reply to your query asked, can be considered in following perspectives as follows-
Most of the calcified atherosclerotic plaques indicate the healed arterial wall after the dislodged plaque from the waxy atherosclerotic plaque.
So with the healed fibrotic base, it has a stronger fixed base and chances of it being dislodged are less.

a-Risks to the life by heart attack are always there after the menopausal age, but as you have passed the early postmenopausal phase, you seem to have the settled groin pain, with collaterals taking care of the groin tissue perfusion and a reduced risk from heart attack.
And with the healed calcified atherosclerotic plaque,you have reduced risk as told earlier.

b-Thus the risks to the groin tissue have resolved currently by the collaterals developed, which is a normal body response to the atherosclerotic stenosis caused in such cases.

Your doctor would be best judge with all the lipid panel test- variables at his hand to tell you exactly what is the risk of getting heart attack, as the risk of getting heart attack with this calcified plaque depends on many factors, which could be studied by heart- CT Heart Scan for the Calcium score of the coronaries of your heart.

Hope this would resolve your query and would help you to plan further care with your Cardiologist, soon.
Welcome for any further query in this regard, before I would close this query from My end, as your query is answered.

Will appreciate writing excellent feedback review comments to help the needy patients like you, at HCM.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar M.N.
M.S.Genl-CVTS XXXXXXX Surgical and CVTS specialist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina