How serious can oxygen saturation below 90 be?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: How does oxygen get from the lungs into the blood stream? I have a low oxygen level when I exert myself. I was told by a pulmonologist that only about 30% of the oxygen was getting into the blood stream.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I am o sorry to hear that oxygen transfer from the lungs into blood is only about 30%. What is the final diagnosis following what was seen on the CT-Scan. Is there any programmed biopsy or has it been done already?

Oxygen in lungs gets into blood through the alveolar membrane driven by a difference in the oxygen concentration between the alveoli and the blood stream. If the membrane through which this occurs is in thickened such that it serves as a barrier rather than a simple diffusion membrane, oxygen transfer comes greatly hampered and will result in little oxygen transfer. I think the problem with only 30% being transferred is fully explained by this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.