• question-icon

How safe is medical abortion?

Posted on Mon, 21 Sep 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 5 weeks 6 days pregnant and I had 2 c-sections previously with the latest 2 and half years ago. Is it safe to have medical abortion by the pill now or are there any risks associated with having my previous csections?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for medical abortion under supervision.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
You can go for medical abortion under supervision of a doctor or an expert.
Usually it will not cause any complication and does not affect future pregnancy and outcomes if your previous c-section was without complications.
But before going for it, you should consult a Gynecologist and get your ultrasound scan done to see the exact week and site of pregnancy and see the thickness of uterine scar.
Hope found useful, feel free to discuss more information.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX
Would surgical abortion be a better option for me?
What c-section complications are you referring to in your response? Is it after the csections you mean? If so I didn't have any issues or complications following both csections.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical abortion is better option for you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for the delay in my response.
If you were not having complications after previous c- section, in my opinion medical abortion is much better option but should be done under supervision.
I f you have no further questions and wants to close the discussion please accept my answer,if found useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 25 hours later
I had an ultrasound and checked for the uterus thickness and scars and was assured by the doctor that it s all fine.
However before I knew I was pregnant I had some puss cells in the urine and taken antibiotics but doesn't seem to have worked since I still have pain while urinating. I don't want to take anymore antibiotics until I m done with the abortion.
Is it safe to use the medical abortion when I have such an issue with urine?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take antibiotics along with abortion pills.

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in my response.
In my opinion you should consult a Gynecologist and take antibiotics along with abortion pills to avoid infection.
Drink a lot of water,maintain a good vaginal hygiene.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 36 hours later
I have taken the 3 doses orally and it's now 6 hours from the first dose.

I had chills, mild cramps that are constant but sometimes get too strong and feel bloated. Bleeding has not started yet only the above symptoms. Should I be worried? My temp is 37.5c and the chills are on an off but I'm too nervous bleeding has not started yet.
Pls advise
Brief Answer:
Consult a Gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
As bleeding is not started yet after 6 hrs.of taking the drug you should consult a Gynecologist and get yourself examined and ultrasound scan done to rule out the cause.( are you continuing the pregnancy).
You can take rest of the medicine under her guidance.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN