• question-icon

How safe is hernia surgical mesh implantation for a 69 year old?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: I have hernia surgery scheduled which will utilize a mesh 'repair'. The hernia is on one side of my groin. I've heard some negative press about mesh. My doctor has been using a mesh for the last 5 years that he says has given consistently good results.
Has mesh technology improved? Are there any other concerns regarding mesh repair.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details about the negative side that you heard.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Nice to see you again.
It is good that you are diagnosed and going for hernia surgery with mesh repair.
Since you are 69 years old, mesh repair is the treatment of choice as it helps strengthening the wall that will close the hernia defect thus not allowing recurrence.
Mesh is in use for a very long time now and proved to be the best supporting material.
If the surgery is done meticulously, there are no concerns.
Please let me know the negative side that you have heard so that I can assist you better.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon