How safe is Nutrilite protein powder for weight loss?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Healthy Living
Question: Hi my weight is 76 I'm 5"3feet I'm a mother of 1.7years boy . I don't have suger,thyroide or any medical problem. I do gym regularly but loosing weight is getting difficult...can I take nutrillite protine powder for weight loose?? If yes thn how should I take it at wat time n what sud be the quantity?? Should I take it as a meal replacement or in wat ?? I don't want to build muscles but I need to loose weight
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
optimum protein supplements help weight reduction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for posting your query through Health care magic .
I have read your query & understand your concern.
* Yes, proteins do help in reduction of body weight in multiple ways -
- Proteins increases level of satisfaction & decreases appetite & food intake, it also decreases food carvings & late night eating .So food( caloric ) intake is reduced with protein intake.
- Digestion of protein itself consumes about 30 % of calories produced by the proteins.Protein intake also raises metabolic rate.. caloric burning is increased when proteins are taken.
-Proteins avoid reduction of muscle mass .. which is usually seen with weight loss. So there is healthy reduction of weight.. while proteins are added to diet with caloric restriction.
* So that explains how it's advantageous to add proteins in reducing diets. The maximum intake of proteins in reducing diet is about 25 to 35 % of total caloric intake. ( that comes to about 150 gms in 2000 calorie diet)... to be decided with consultation of a dietitian.
Excess proteins in diet are undesirable because of risk to create load on kidneys.
* Amway Nutrilite protein provides high dose of natural proteins, as there are no sugar or artificial flavoring agents in the preparation.. it's a pure protein powder. You can start taking it .but to replace it for meal with it is not necessary.You can take it twice a day at fixed time & full fill rest of protein quota with lean meat, fish,eggs, legumes, fat free dairy products.
Ideally protein should be added to each serving of food
* Ideally diet should have carbohydrates from food having low glycemic index, along with vitamins & minerals that are derived from vegetables, salads & sour fruits.
Thus a continuous effort with physical work outs ( under an instructor's guidance/ prescribed caloric intake with addition of proteins / sufficient sound sleep/ stress free & positive psychology would help you to achieve your goal.wish you all the best.
I hope you find the answer informative & useful. any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 days later
can u tell me the timings? I'm confused because some says don't drink it in the night n all . I go to gym around 12.30 everyday so sud I take it before leaving n once in the evening or sometime I don't knw...pls tell me the timings thanx
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet plan suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks your follow up query.
I would suggest to eat in multiple servings(( after every 3-3.5 hours) in small amounts.. to avoid excessive feeding out of hunger. Basically you should include it in your daily diet plan with maximally 250 to 500 cal each time ( or the exact caloric intake your dietitian advises divided by 5 ) Eating just before or after exercises is not suggested.. the minimum gap should be 1.5 hours.
I would suggest to have
-just a glass of warm water with 1 spoon of honey & lemon juice after getting up in morning.
- to take protein powder at breakfast with a fruit / light snack.. say at 8 am.
-followed by lunch as suggested by dietitian at 11 am
- & the second helping of protein at 4.30-5 pm.( after 3 hours of your exercises) .
- your routine dinner should be by 8- 8.30 pm
-& a cup of fat free milk before going to bed.
Each serving should accompany salad or permissible fruit
* This is a rough out line given for your diet so advise of dietitian would be the final advise.
- Avoid oversleeping , have sound sleep of 8 hours- May be use audio CD of Yoganidra / alcohol , smoking.
- try to be active through out the day
I hope that satisfies you. If you have any follow up query , I would be happy to help.
Thanks.
I request to grade the answer & close the query, in case you are satisfied.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D