How risky is surgery for tumor in brain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I was initially diagnosed with a Parasaggital Meningioma in 1995. It has remained stable while followed with periodic MRI' For the last six months I have had worsening headaches and XXXXXXX balance/coordination issues. MRI with and without contrast revealed "marked interval growth of left posterior parietal parafalcine extra axial dural based mass. (from 11 mm 4 years ago ) now measirong 206 cm AP x2.2 cm transverse x2.8 cm vertical height. While previously the mas was homogeneous It now demonstrates intense post contrast enhancement and heterogenous signal on pre-contrast axial FLAIR and T2-weighted series" with mild adjacent white matter edema. Also showed additional small, subcentimeter hyperintense FLAIR in the hemispheric sub cortical white matter consistent with chronic small vessel ischemic changes. No major acute infarct or obvious intracranial hemorrage. The radiologist conclusion differiential dx favors a miningioma with the possibility of sarcomatos degeneration given the interval growth and heterogenous signal.
I am trying to get an appointment with a neuro surgeon per recommendation of my MD and the radiologist. If this were your scan or a loved ones scan what would you reccommend as a course of action. Given the position and size of the tumor what are the risks of surgery and what might I expect recovery to look like.
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your past history, current symptoms and MRI brain findings.

I would advise for undergoing a surgery. This is because there has been a marked increase in the size of tumor, which requires excluding conversion of meningioma into a malignant tumor.

Though meningioma are benign in almost 99% of cases, it gets transformed to cancerous tumor in about 1%. Surgery will help in removing the tumor as well as confirming its diagnosis and nature.

Surgery in this location is safe and we do not expect any major complications.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in