question-icon

How often should one get vaccinated for pneumonia?

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: I had the pneumonia vaccine 2years ago.. I heard there is a new one. Should we be revaccinated? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it depends

Detailed Answer:

there are two types of pneumococcus vaccines. They are PPSV and PCV-13. PPSV and PCV-13 are not vaccine names, they are vaccine types. Since you're talking about a new one, you've probably done PPSV (pneumovax) in the past. If a couple of years have passed since your last vaccination then you can do (and you should do) the PCV-13 vaccine (prevenar). 1-2 years after PCV-13 you will have to do another (the last one) dose of PPSV (pneumovax). And that's all for pneumococcal vaccination.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis