How often should Selsun shampoo be used while having severe dandruff?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have a concern.. I was told by my salon employee that out of 100% i have around 35-40% dandruff.. so i searched on internet and Selsun shampoo was the most recommended one. Can you please tell me how many times i should shampoo with this hair. and should i use another shampoo as i cannot use selsun everytime for shampooing.. And will it be good to completely remove my dandruff or atleast 10%
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding antidandruff shampoo

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Selsun shampoo contains selenium sulphide and is a good option as an anti dandruff shampoo. You may use it every alternate days. Lather it well on to wet scalp and allow it to act for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off. Rest of the times you may use your regular shampoo. Dandruff can cause scalp itching and may increase hair shedding so it would be good to keep your dandruff under check.

Follow-up: How often should Selsun shampoo be used while having severe dandruff? 51 minutes later
How many days approx it will take to completely remove my dandruff??

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

At least 2-4 weeks for a good response and then you have to maintain the improvement with at twice weekly shampoo with Selsun.

Follow-up: How often should Selsun shampoo be used while having severe dandruff? 3 days later
i wanted to ask one thing as you are a dermatologist.. Is it ok to have a skin scrub of o3 clream at a salon once in every week? or is it dangerous for my skin

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding scrub in a salon

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

It is fine to take it if you have had it before and your skin is not sensitive and tolerated it well. Though scrubs etc can sometimes cause irritation, acne etc specially in sensitive skin types.

Follow-up: How often should Selsun shampoo be used while having severe dandruff? 5 hours later
No i have never had any irritation.. as the scrubs make my skin clean and gives a glow.. So i can comprehend that having it once in a week is ok.. Right?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding face scrub

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
If you have had good results with the scrub then no problem taking it.