How often do the HPV affected develop genital warts?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: If someone is infected with the strain of HPV that cause genital warts, what is the chance they will show symptoms? (Develop warts)
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
It is not known exactly how many of the HPV infected will develop clinical disease but it is generally accepted that MOST will never develop warts. Moreover since the incubation period from HPV infection to clinical disease varies from a few weeks to many months so it may not be possible to know when and from where the HPV came. It is also generally accepted that MOST HPV infection is taken care by body own immunity so MOST of the HPV infected are free of infection within 2 years of infection.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng