How often do the HPV affected develop genital warts?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
If someone is infected with the strain of HPV that cause genital warts, what is the chance they will show symptoms? (Develop warts)
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
It is not known exactly how many of the HPV infected will develop clinical disease but it is generally accepted that MOST will never develop warts. Moreover since the incubation period from HPV infection to clinical disease varies from a few weeks to many months so it may not be possible to know when and from where the HPV came. It is also generally accepted that MOST HPV infection is taken care by body own immunity so MOST of the HPV infected are free of infection within 2 years of infection.