How often do newborns urinate?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor, To give background. if you remember you where asked serious of questions related to child not urinating and mother milk not coming 1 week back. i am the same. Just to remember in future conversations my name is "xxxxxxx"

Baby age: 2 weeks 2 days

a) Baby is going for urination and motion immediately after having mother milk, is it normal
b) Yesterday and today we have noticed the motion to be like lather and mother had mutton this 2 days, is it normal. Mother i having runingnose medium nd soar throat
c) Baby is going for motion and urine very regulary, between 2 feeds the gap is 1 hr as baby is getting hungry a lot and immediately after having she goes for motion and urine and then by next feed its around 2-3 times
d) We tried your suggestion to feed for every 3 hours and it worked initially but now baby is taking milk for every 1hr. is it ok? more mother milk will have any harm?
e) More motion and urination and baby is sneezing 3-5 times after feeding anything to worry?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again. Yes, I remember you. Let me try to answer your queries.

a) It is normal. No need to worry.
b) Not a cause for concern. Breast feeding needs to be continued.
c) There is a phenomenon called gastrocolic reflex which may make babies pass stool after even each feed. It is normal. Nothing to be concerned about.
d) Feed every 1 hour would only leave the baby hungry (just the reverse of what you think) as enough milk will not get time to accumulate in the breasts. Please do not encourage this practice. Try to stick to 2 hours.
e) Sneezing, coughing, hiccups are normal in babies of this age. No need to worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T