How must chronic and severe back pain for over 6 months be treated?
My wife who is 30 years old has been having severe back pain since last 6 months. We have visited multiple orthopedecian and one recently . We did xray and the report is attached. She was also given Arachitol 6L Injection recently post the xray report came in with also Vitamin d tests done showing count as 13 . The pain is still persisting
Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your query ,attached report and health concern in detail,
Lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tear.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.
It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.
5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
1. I forgot to mention that my wife has pain across below the waist level too and it mainly pains in thigh below and knees - this has been severe pain.
1. What does the report first statement imply in the report that i attached from the xray report? - "Loss of Lumbar Lordosis Seen" - Is it same as you mentioned lower back pain.
2. Additonally, the tablet i missed mentioning earlier was fence-mr- should we continue that and also take the archetol 6l injection for my wife. We have pending revisit to the orthopadecian who had got physio machine massage done for few days for my wife and recommended excercise which will be started soon. With 2 injectsion pending to be given - should we go ahead with the injections or just do the excercise.
Continue with the medications.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain that your wife has is related to muscle spasm due to wrong posture and loss of lordosis. The normal shape of spine has a curve and this curve becomes straight on back muscle spasm and causes loss of lordosis ( curve of spine) and results in stress on back muscles and pain. Regular back muscle exercise is needed to maintain the strength and tone of muscles.
You needs to continue with injections and Fence MR as she is still in pain. The medicines can be stopped after the pain subsides and she is able to do regular physiotherapy exercises.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.