How much weight is healthy to gain during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am now 36 weeks pregnant, before two weeks i weighed 68.5 (34 weeks) and even now after two weeks i weigh the same weight there is no gain in weight. I am worried about the baby's weight and growth, is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be confirmed by an ultrasound scan.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Maternal weight gain does not directly reflect the baby's growth. Sometimes there is less than expected weight gain in the mother due to nausea and lack of appetite and gastric fullness. A decrease in fluid intake and diet low in protein and more of junk food is also responsible for such a condition.
The growth of baby and weight gain is usually normal. This can be confirmed after an ultrasound scan which will show if the growth and weight of the baby is corresponding to the gestational age.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Can u suggest me with nutritional foods to increase my weight in a weeks time
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Have protein rich foods like egg, nuts, milk, etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The weight gaining diet should include high protein foods, high carbohydrate foods and healthy fats.
Following are some tips to follow to gain weight. You will take some time to gain the weight you need, but be patient.
1)Start your day with a healthy breakfast comprising a glass of milk and a banana or a banana milkshake.
2)Have frequent small meals every three hours in a day and divide them into six small meals comprising of proteins in one meal as pulses,cereals,beans,legumes, etc.
3)Have energy dense foods as dry fruits, nuts, seeds when you snack.
4)If you take non veg have fish,chicken with dal rice thrice in a week.
5)Avoid junk food intake as it has empty calories.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 hours later
I am getting a lot of white discharge, is it a sign of labour in my 37th week
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
An increase in white discharge is an early sign of impending labor. It happens due to dislodgement of mucus plug. It is a normal symptom and is not worrisome.
Regards.