How much does inguinal hernia surgery cost?

Question
my husband (French and no US insurance ) has been told by the doctor that he needs an inguinal hernia surgery as soon as possible. How much does this cost not being uninsured here and where could he do it, we live in New York Manhattan
thanks for your cooperation
Margrit Newman
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Magrit,

I hope soon that the US has a national health service program, but for now, without insurance, you will have to shop around.

A source that compares prices estimated that in New York City, the price for laparoscopic hernia repair ranges from $2,000 to $5,000 and for open hernia repair the range is from $2,500 - $7,000.

You will need to call to see what a particular group and hospital will charge for the procedure. I would start by calling New York University Langone Health at 212-263-7302. My reason for suggesting you start there is that New York University is a teaching hospital and so they might have lower rates.

There are other teaching university hospitals in NYC such as Mount Sinai. But start with one, let them know you are uninsured but need the surgery soon, and if their prices are not reasonable, ask if they can direct you to a hospital that might work out better for being uninsured. If they don't know, you can then ask to talk with someone from the social work department. The social workers at a hospital are the experts at knowing the resources available in the community. The business office of the hospital or clinic can tell you the general prices.

I wish I could tell you more specifically who will do this surgery, and soon, in an economical way, but this will require some telephone research.

I hope this information puts you on the right path to getting this accomplished.