How much breast milk is advisable for a baby girl who is two months old?
Since birth she has struggled to latch on my breasts for feeding so I express breast milk into the bottles by pump and then feed her by bottle. So far we had to give only three times formula milk otherwise all time breast milk but in a bottle.
My concern is that since last three four days she seems to be struggling to get her feed. Until four days ago her average daily feed was around 650ml (80-100ml a time for 6-7 times a day). since last three four days she hardly finishes around 600ml in 24 hours. Sometimes she takes it easily but sometimes she takes half of the milk and gets annoyed or goes to sleep.
She was born at 38 weeks by C-section and her birth weight was 2.960kg. At two months today her weight is 4.100kg.
Please let me know:
1> Is her weight gain normal or low?
2> Is around 600ml breast milk a day enough for her age and weight or she should be eating more? I read on internet and some babies eat as much as 1000ml a day.
3> She appears to be normal. I mean she does not have fever, pees about 8-10 times a day and poos about 1-3 times a day. But sometimes she gets very annoyed. what could be the reason?
4> Randomly she sleeps a lot. Some day she sleeps about 18-20 hours a day and some time 12-14 hours a day. Is this normal?
5> We daily suck out snot from her nostrils via suction pipe. Is it normal for babies to get snot every day?? She appears to be breathing normally.
Please reply as soon as possible.
Questions answered in sequence.
Let me address the issues one by one:
1. The weight is absolutely fine.
2. Breast milk requirement is roughly 750 ml per day but may vary between 500 ml and 900 ml. It is not 1000 ml.
3. DPT is included in the vaccination schedule (the one she received). It may cause irritability and even fever. It is normal. Nothing to be concerned about.
4. Yes, it's normal.
5. Yes, normal. Apply Nasoclear saline nasal drops in each nostril when needed.
Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to write back.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
I am still concerned about her amount of feeding. As mentioned to you earlier that she was taking about 650ml in 24 hours and that was without much fuss.
Since last one week she does not take more than 600ml. She also does not finish the bottle quickly as before. She takes about 45 minutes to finish 70-80ml. Before she used to finish 90-100ml in 20-30 minutes.
After vaccination last week, her temperature is bit higher than before. She was around 36.0 before vaccine and now about 36.5 after vaccine.
She is weeing about 8-10 times a day and pooing about 1-3 times a day.
1> Does her feeding pattern indicate any problem? We have not been to the doctor yet but what could possibly causing her feeding less and taking more time?
2> We have tried different bottles but same thing happens with all bottles. Do you think she does not like breast milk anymore and we should try formula milk?
3> We will weigh her again in next 2-3 days to see whether her weigh has gained. I understood that as baby grows she should be eating more but in my case she is eating less. How long should I wait before making hospital appointment for this feeding issue?
4> Do you think her temperature is ok? Will it go down as before ? She used to have 36.0 or under before the vaccinations.
5> Any suggestions on feeding her? such as changing timings, waiting longer to feed again etc??
Awaiting your response.
Thanks & Regards.
1. The feeding pattern does not indicate a cause for concern. Do not be bothered about the amount.
2. Do not attempt bottle feeding or formula milk. Try to switch back to exclusive breastfeeding.
3. Weigh her once a month, not once in 2-3 days. Plot the weights on an age-appropriate growth chart.
4. Temperature is not a cause for concern.
5. Exclusive breastfeeding. Nothing else.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to increase breast milk supply
- How to stop milk formation in breast
- How to increase breast milk
- How breasts create milk
- Breast milk regain after month
- Breast milk baby
- Breast milk for baby eye infection
- How to stimulate breast milk
- 9 month old baby stopped breast feedcries in betweenhungrycolic
- Breast milk is coming from a unmarried girl