How much Effexor should be taken for treatment of depression?

Question
I have recently been put on Effexor 37.5 er, and had my lexapro dose raised to 20 mg a little over a week ago. This is to battle anxiety and depression I just developed about 2-3 weeks ago. My question is have I given the lexapro long enough to work before adding the Effexor? The Effexor is making me feel horrible.
I also want to ask is 37.5 a therapeutic dose at all?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please write your symptoms in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for choosing Wwwhealthcaremagic
please write your symptoms in detail. I don't think adding Effexor with Lexapro is scientific choice. I would prefer to wait for 3-4 weeks on Lexapro , if no response then ,taper it with gradual introduction of Effexor but if there was partial response, I would add some augmenting medicine acting on different receptor system. You are feeling problem because probably serotonin level has become high due to two drugs acting on same receptors. Effexor recommended dose is 225 to 300 mg .
Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa