question-icon

How many milligrams of Pepcid can I safely take in one day?

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Question: I've been having terrible heartburn to the extent of feeling like I was having a heart attack. Went to the emergency room twice and they ran ekg's and were normal. They said they think I have GERD and referred me to a gastrointestinal Dr. next week and told me to take pepcid until then. When I take it it makes me feel much better but the package says to not take more than 2 twenty milligram tablets in a 24 hour period. But they wear off and I feel terrible. Can I safely take more?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is safe continue using your treatment..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
- I totally agree that your symptoms are typical for Gerd.
- with regards to your treatment you can use
- pepcid 20 mg twice per day 30 minutes before meal up to your specialist consult.
- gaviscon 1.5 hour after meal(antacid).
It is safe to take them for a long time. please don't worry.
Both of them will help you improving your symptoms.
It is important to take care of your diet like :
- avoid alcohol, cofee, choccolate and smoking
- use two pillows when you lay down
- eat often and small amoun of meal
-avoid spicy foods
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist