How many doses of polio vaccines are administered?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 14 weeks old and this question is regarding the IPV injection.

We have given her OPV drops when she was 6, 10 and 14 weeks. We wanted to give her IPV injection during our last visit(10 week) but it was not available and doctor told I can give her that injection during my next visit.

During 14 week visit we have given her both OPV drops and IPV injection along with other vaccinations.

My question is more on the schedule of IPV injection. According to our doctor, one dose of IPV injection is enough which is already given at 14 weeks. But I was reading some medical blogs where it says it has to be given in 3 doses(2 month, 4 month and 6 to 18 month and a booster 4 to 6 years).

Kindly let me know whether one dose of IPV injection is enough or should I continue and give her at least 3 dose?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The received doses are sufficient.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Consider IPV as a replacement for OPV. You have read correctly that three dses of IPV are required. But the requirement of the other two doses has already met by the OPV doses she has received. So, she no longer requires additional doses of IPV. However, if you wish you can feel free to give additional doses and it would not be harmful.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.