How many days is for acute hiv infection?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 18 Feb 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: How many days is for acute hiv infection?
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 17 minutes later
i had headache with pain in eyes when there is light and i had fever with sore throat, body pain,little fatique and running nose for just only 2 days do i have acute hiv infection ? As i had sex but with condom on september 20th 2018 and i got this in 11 and 12 of october 2018
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV can not be diagnosed without confirmatory pathological test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi LM 953190,
Thank you for the query. I understand your concern.
If you had intact condom on while the sexual act... the possibility of HIV infection is remote.
Mostly symptoms can start within few days to few weeks after exposure to HIV infection. The mostly symptoms do not heal early they last for prolonged time ..
say upto couple of weeks while accompanying enlarged lymph nodes remain longer than two weeks.
Few of the patients do not have prolonged symptoms or no symptoms at all .
* HIV can not be diagnosed without diagnostic pathological tests.
* Early diagnosis is by antigen test (p24) as early as one to eight weeks of exposure.Viral load test can help in diagnosis at this stage.But these tests are not conclusive if they are -ve.
In such case both antigen & antibody test(CIMA test) is performed after 90 days of exposure... & this test gives 99.9% confirmed results in exclusion or confirmation of HIV infection.
I hope that helps.Any follow upquery is welcome
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 26 minutes later
i showed to doctor about the fever and all but the doctor diagnose as viral fever the doctor wrote some test but she told to do if the fever last for more then 3 days but fever has gone in only 2 days so i didnot do the test can you say or assume that may be it is not acute hiv infection?
Brief Answer:
Seems to Beaute viral infection.HIV to be excluded by pathological test

Detailed Answer:
Hi Lm953190,
As I have already said... in case you are sure of wearing unpunctured condom during sex.. least possibility of HIV transmission.
The same way the occurance of infection following few days of contact can not presume or discard possibility of infection.
Your symptoms might be viral(as your doctor suggested) the symptoms usually disappear within a week's time.... viral infection with possible HIV infection lasts longer /,allergic .. which gets controlled with anti allergic medicines or secondary bacterial infection(which lasts longer .)&.needs antibiotic.
Though I would not presume(and would suggest to get the possibility confirmed by suitable pathological test)....the short illness with secured sex by use of a condom... it is most likely to be allergic/viral in origin.
please be calmposed &get the doubt cleared by needful CIMA pathological test after 3months of exposure to infection.
I hope that answers your questions.Any follow up query is welcome .
Thanks.