How long would it take for WBC count to return to normal after a viral infection?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 4 Oct 2019 in Child Health
Question: My son had blood work done 3/21/18 wbc were low due to he had a viral infection.redid bloodwork on 4/14/18 they are still low it went up a little but not at normal range my dr doesn’t seem to concern... how long does it take for wbc to return to normal should I be concern
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concern. I understand that a month has elapsed since the episode.

However, I would request you upload both the previous and present reports so that I can compare. Unless the body is facing any crisis I do not suppose that the WBC would go up. I would be able to suggest further after checking the reports. It may take several weeks for the counts to normalize.

I would await your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 23 minutes later
Don’t have the reports there’s nothing else going on Dr is not to concern but what is the normal wbc for a child and will it go up and could this be a sign of a serious illness

I’m just worried can it be leukemia lymphoma etc
Brief Answer:
Not concerning

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Lymphoma is usually associated with swollen lymph nodes, intermittent fevers, night sweats, tiredness, nexplained weight loss and decreased appetite. Unless these are present you need not worry about lymphoma. In leukemia, the WBC count may be abnormally high or abnormally low but a closer look at the blood film (for presence of certain characteristics) would help its detection. Since nothing such has been pointed out, you have no reason to be concerned.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 minutes later
When you I retest his bloodwork
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Retest not needed unless there is a clinical indication

Detailed Answer:

I do not think that you need to retest unnecessarily. Retest only if there are symptoms eg. fever or any other unexplained presentation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 minutes later
Thank you for answer one more question can this problem be a sign of a impending condition
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
I do not think that it is a sign of any impending condition. No need to worry.