How long will the symptoms of RMS last following Vancomycin injection?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can the symptoms of RMS endure for up to a year following the injection of Vancomycin?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They are not supposed to last so long

Detailed Answer:

the red man syndrome is caused by the direct effect of vancomycin on a particular type of cells that mediated allergic reactions. While the syndrome itself is not an allergic reaction, many symptoms and findings are the same. Since this is caused by the direct effect of the drug, the symptoms and findings should last for as long as the effects of the cells may last which is only a short time. Most of the times all symptoms are gone before the end of the day. Symptoms found a year later have to be investigated towards other diagnoses. The causes of allergic reactions may sometimes remain hidden even after extensive evaluation (medical history and lab testing).

I hope I've helped!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis