How long should i take Nasonex and Montair LC for allergies?

Posted on Tue, 8 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
My name is XXXX . I am from XXXXXXX I have allergies from smoke, perfume, cold and Its very difficult to stay away from these stimulants. My doctor has prescribed me :-budamate200 puff, nasonex spray, montair LC tab, deriphyllin retard. The symptoms get suppressed for some days but recur frequently. However , Deriphyllin seems to work really well for me . For how long can I continue to take safely, twice a day. I haven't gone for any tests yet. Do I need to go for any tests, to be sure what am I allergic to. Please let me know the tests that would help me in understanding clearly, what all I am allergic to. Also, so far I have been told that that there is no permanent cure of this disorder. Medicines can only suppress the symptoms .The best possible remedy is to remain away from stimulants. Please let me know if there is any permanent cure of this, would consulting an allergist or immunologist help ? Can I get something better than the treatment th
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prick Skin test and Allergen Immunotherapy are advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

I understand your concern.

You possibly seem to have Atopy-This is inherent allergy to various environmental particles and substances.

Long term use of the prescribed drugs in your case is not advisable,since many of the compounds are steroids which can have deleterious effects.As of now use these drugs only when the need arises like in case of prompt symptom control.

There are few standardised tests which can help you to identify the allergens to which you are both clinically and biochemically susceptible to.

Prick skin test is one of the recent tests designed to identify atopic and allergic individuals.This test can detect upto 40 allergens to which one is sensitive.

New treatments are now available to combat allergic disorders.The cure rates are very high in all such treatments.This is a novel form therapy catered in XXXXXXX

Once specific allergen is identified-the similar allergen can now be injected in graded doses to reduce sensitivity,develop tolerance and immunity against the allergen.This form of therapy is called Allergen Immunotherapy/ALLERGEN SHOTS.This will reduce the need for oral drugs later on.

Allergen immunotherapy, also known as allergy shots, is a form of long-term treatment that decreases symptoms for many people with allergic disorders.

This therapy is usually delivered by Immunologist.There are few such clinics and doctors in XXXXXXX

You and your allergist / immunologist should base your decision regarding allergy shots on:
-Length of allergy season and severity of your symptoms.
-How well medications and/or environmental controls are helping your allergy symptoms.
-Your desire to avoid long-term medication use.
-Time available for treatment (allergy shots requires a significant commitment).
-Cost, which may vary depending on region and insurance coverage.

Allergy shots are not used to treat food allergies. The best option for people with food allergies is to strictly avoid that food.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 21 hours later

I have below queries:-

1. For how long can I safely take Deriphyllin retard 150->one tablet a day

2.For how long can I safely take Deriphyllin retard 150->two tablets a day

3.For how long can I safely take Montair LC->one tablet a day

4.For how long can I safely take Montair LC->two tablets a day

5.For how long can I safely take Budamate 200

6.For how long can I safely take Nasonex.

I am specifically interested in Deriphyllin, as it seems to work for me. I have started feeling issues in holding objects, my hands seems not to be not able to hold things. I also feel burning session in my soul and palm, Is it a side-effect of any of these medicines.

Sorry for mentioning each of the medicines separately, i wanted a specific and elaborate answer:)

7.Should I consult a pulmonologist or an allergist/immunologist?

8. Are allergist and immunologist same?

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relevant answers provided.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I am extremely apologetic for keeping you in waiting.

My answers to your queries in numbered sequence as above.

1. 4-6 months.

2. 3-4 months.

3. 3-4 months.

4. 2-3 months.

5,6--not more than 6 months followed by gradual tapering of the drugs over next 2 months.

I have listed the standard time limit for the usage of these drugs in all Allergic disorders(excluding asthma-who treatment guidelines are unique and differ widely) after extensive research and peer consultations.

7. Yes, side effects in your case are related to use of Deriphyllin and Budamate 200.These drugs are known to produce these side effects in your case.
In order to minimize these side effects, you should refrain from using these drugs on a long-term basis.For how long you will keep taking these drugs--?Allergy is a ubiquitous phenomenon.

I advise you to go for Allergen Immunotherapy for permanent relief.
Hence you need to consult a pulmonologist initially followed by an allergist.

8.Yes, both allergist and Immunologists are same.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 3656 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Steroid

doctor1 MD

Ive been having headaches for most of the day and night for three days already. Mefenamic acid and paracetamol dont seem to work. What should I do?...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I recently developed some (6) pustules on my abdomen that form a semi-circle. They seemed to be filled with pus at first but have since busted...

doctor1 MD

I consulted a cardiologist for persistent high cholesterol problem and sometimes for vertigo. I have been prescribed Vertin 8 mg thrice daily for 2...

doctor1 MD

I was having protected sex with my girlfriend, in the process, she felt like there was blood dripping out from her vagina, and it dripped some onto...

doctor1 MD

Hi For the past week or so my fingers, in between my thumb it’s red and my next finger it’s red on the side and my middle finger its red on the...

doctor1 MD

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know...

doctor1 MD

I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

138 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction