How long should antibiotics be taken to treat an UTI?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had taken antibiotics for 1-1/2 months - actually dr had planned take antibiotics for 3 months because I had often recurring UTI.
Because I was having yeast infection. I did use cream. Maybe getting better? But there is still some pains although it has been 6 days,
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
RECURRENT UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Prolonged antibiotics may be necessary for treating recurrent chronic urinary tract infections.
Yeast infections can aggravate it.
Since you are having relief it may be worth continuing antibiotics ,may be a different one with the consent of a urologist.
Another option is to consult an urologist and get a cystoscopy done,which can rule out cystitis.Antifungal
Vaginal pessaries can also be tried.
If you are having burning ,more than pain in vagina ,oestrogen cream can be applied for a short while with the consent of a gynaecologist ONLY.
Hope you are convinced. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar