How long should Thyronorm be taken to regulate TSH levels?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi sir, I am XXXXXXX TSH level is 7.12 uIU/ml against normal range of 0.25 to 5. The Doctor has prescribed Thyronorm 25 mg. Please suggest is it the right medicine, How long I have to take this medicine and what are the side effects of this medicine.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would like to T3 and T4 levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have only given the TSH levels. I would also like to know your T3 and T4 levels. I would also like to know the symptoms that you are experiencing so that I am better able to help.

T3 and T4 are the hormones synthesized by thyroid gland to control metabolism in the body. TSH is the regulatory hormone produced by the pituitary gland to regulate the secretion of T3 and T4.

Two conditions are possible with raised TSH levels. Either T3 and T4 are normal or are low. If normal then you have subclinical hypothyroidism. If low then you have clinical hypothyroidism.

In subclinical hypothyroidism, thyroid supplements (thyronorm) is needed if symptoms are present, otherwise it can be omitted.

In clinical hypothyroidism, thyroid supplements are needed anyways.

Thyronorm is just T4 (prepared artificially). It does not have as such any side effects if the correct dose is taken. If the dose is in excess of need, it will cause restlessness, nervousness, etc -symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee