How long should Thyronorm be taken for hypothyroidism?
Mostly thyroid medications required life long.
Welcome to HCM.
As you are having hypothyroidism where there is decreased production of thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland.You have been prescribed to take thyronorm which is a thyroid hormone.
With a very few exceptions, when you develop hypothyroidism, the dysfunction of the gland is 'permanent' so you need to keep taking the thyroid hormone (thyronorm tablets) for almost life long.
Since your TSH has become normal now with this 50 mcg thyronorm tablets,I will suggest you to continue taking it with the same dose.
So,I am NOT in the favor to stop this tablet.
In my opinion,with this set dose you should go for thyroid testing every 5 to 6 monthly to check your thyroid status.
In addition,thyroid tablet (Thyronorm) should be taken on empty stomach to get maximum absorption from the stomach as food might interfere with its absorption.
Hope this detailed answer will be helpful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Thyronorm is taken for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid
- Is thyronorm 50 used in hyperthyroid or hypothyroid
- Thyronorm for hypothyroid side effects
- Should i take synthoid or eltroxin or thyronorm for hypothyroidism
- How long is the treatment of hypothyroidism
- How long before hashimotos disease leads to hypothyroidism
- Is thyronorm common for both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid
- Have hypothyroidism taking thyronorm cure medicine life long
- How long does a hypothyroid test take
- Thyronorm is used for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid