Owl Image

How long should Neurobion be taken before consulting an ENT for tinnitus?

Owl Image
Dr. Rahul Tawde

Question
Hi I am a 43 year old woman havibng diabetes since past 9 years. I suffer from spondylosis and disc prolapse (l3,l4 &l5). I have asthma. I am having contunuos buzzing since past right days in my right ear. i have been told to consult an ENT. However since i suffer from GAD, genereal physician has preceibed vertin and neurobion. How long i sould take these tabs before consulting the ENT?
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT consultation needed for tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
Tinnitus in a known diabetic patient needs evaluation for any internal ear pathology or pathology in the auditory neural pathway.
You have been correctly treated with vertin and neurobion by your local doctor. However, vertin can only produce symptomatic relief, although Neurobion can modify disease course if it is due to neuropathy.
But, you should be evaluated for your symptoms as soon as possible to rule out more serious conditions e.g. tumour, vasculitis etc.
If you are on any regular medication, that may also be ototoxic and may produce similar symptoms. Even GAD can produce symptoms that mimic this condition.
Hence, an ENT doctor consultation is definitely necessary as early as possible for early diagnosis and prevention of progression to irreversible pathology.
If you are satisfied with the above answer, please mark it as helpful.
If you need any additional information, you can write back to me.
Regarding the current condition, I would need a few information for further evaluation-
1. Did you have fever in last 15 days?
2. Do you suffer from any hearing loss or vertigo?
3. Is the tinnitus pulsatile?
4. Do you have headache or any other neurodeficit?
5. Please mention the list of your regular medicines (if any) and history of intake of any antibiotic in last 1 month.
Please feel free to write back with the above mentioned information for further help.
Dr. Kaushik