How long should Mercilon be taken for treating thyroid?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor, hope you well.
I got my thyroid test done today, but I came on my periods yesterday . The results will be available Monday / Tuesday hopefully as they send it abroad. I still am confused on if I should take the pill or not as I have no idea what my results will say? What do I do? I don't want to be planning on pregnancy if my thyroid level is not good .. When is the latest I can take the pill if God forbid the results aren't good?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can skip taking pills this cycle

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear how are you doing?
Yes you can skip taking pills this cycle in case you want pregnancy now.
Even if thyroid results are deranged then also you can start medicine before the start of conception as conception occurs around 15 days from start of menses date.
I hope you will get your thyroid report by then so all in all nothing to worry and you can very well go ahead with pregnancy.
All the best
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 28 minutes later
Ok for example , if on Monday the thyroid results are no good, do I start taking the pills?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to start pills.

Detailed Answer:
hello again , no need to start oral pills if u want to plan pregnancy now. Incase thyroid levels are abnormal then I will prescribe u medicine that will start acting from day 1 so thyroid hormone levels will be well in range before conception .
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 39 minutes later
Hello doctor , I typed up a long question twice but it said saving but it doesn't show in the chat stream. Hopefully this time it will go through.
Firstly I'm sorry for the repetitive emails and trouble .

I wanted to ask you that is it true that straight after leaving pills it's advisable to control pregnancy for at least 1-2 cycles until the pills are out of the system?

Also, is it also true that once pills are left there is more of a chance within 1-2 months of leaving the pills it's possible to get pregnant with twins as the ovulation process it's possible to release two eggs?

Iv been reading all these articles online on conceiving twins as I really want to have twins as my first children InshaaAllah. So been reading all these articles on what foods and all, any suggestions from ur side?

Thank u doctor and sorry for the trouble once again

15 hours ago

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Higher chances of twins definitely

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, yes you are right that on leaving the pills there are good chances of having twins in subsequent 2-3 cycles because of the rebound ovulation.
But there is no harm in trying for conception immediately after leaving the pills.
You can contact me anytime, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Manisha Jain
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 27 hours later
Hi doctor thanks. Wanted to ask today is 4th day of the cycle is it okay to start today ?

Thank you

Is it okay to start the pill today?*
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can start today

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, how are you?
Yes you can very well start pills from today if you want to take precautions this cycle too.
No problem at all as if will also give full contraception.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for your rapid response and always helping x
I'm good and hope you are well too :)
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome dear

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear, all well my side.
You are always welcome dear
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 5 hours later
Doctor I don't know if you have any knowledge in This field , but past days my upper back is very painful I can't hold the pain it's very sharp and severe. Also I can't really hold my urine, my bladder has become very weak I don't know if it's linked but it's very sore my back. I don't know why and it only happens at night when I press it is so so painful.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, both these problems are not related to each other.
Fir upper back pain take tablet flexon MR which is a very effective and specific pain killer.
See the response and in case effective then can take three times a day for 3 days and I hope you will be better.
For urine I think you have some mild grade urine infection or at times just in initial few months of sexual activity a slight sensitivity occurs.
Ideally you need a urine culture and then treatment but since you have a problem in getting investigations done at your place so try taking loads of water and fresh fruit juices for 2-3 days and if possible include cranberries in the form of juice or fruits and see if it works for you.
Use a condom while having sex (despite of taking pills) so that there is no cross infection from each other.
All the best